Bit of eHarmony background story first:
There are a lot of casual dating sites on the internet today, but eHarmony was designed by founder Dr. Neil Clark Warren to be a serious matchmaking site for people from all across the globe. Based on its excellent matchmaking system, eHarmony has been focusing on helping singles find love in long term relationships for over 20 years now.
As Dr. Warren is a clinical psychologist, eHarmony’s matchmaking system was actually quite accurate from Day One, but it has become refined to the point of perfection now in 2020. The dating site’s systematic elimination of incompatible matching and perfect identification of compatibility has so far managed to marry off 600,000 of its members.
Given that eHarmony has an astounding stat record of making 15 million matches per day on an average, we decided to take a closer look at the dating site and find out if it really is as good as it sounds. Read on as we share our experiences and opinions regarding a user’s chances of truly finding a meaningful relationship via eHarmony.
Membership Structure and Stats of eHarmony
There are over 200 countries and 66 million members on eHarmony, so it’s safe to say that the diverse pool of people to find a match from is certainly not lacking here. What is interesting to see is the fact that eHarmony maintains an astonishingly good male to female ratio (53%: 47%), which is better than almost any dating site out there.
Part of this is due to the fact that eHarmony is meant for serious singles who really want a relationship and not just someone to hook up with. In order to have an active profile on eHarmony, it is necessary for members to answer questions, verify facts and build their profiles with care. This requires time and only those truly interested in finding meaningful relationships will take that time.
A few key facts about the members of eHarmony are as follows.
- The site has over 29 million US members
- eHarmony averages 16 million active members/week
- Both male and female members are largely within the age range of 25 – 34
- It’s difficult to find profiles on eHarmony that have not been created for finding committed relationships
- Well established members looking to settle down are common on eHarmony
- Given that the premium upgrades are not cheap, premium members on eHarmony are likely to be affluent and serious singles
As you can see its on a downward trend, but i suspect thats because they had less competition 10 years ago. I don't think its a huge indicator of quality, but something to keep in mind.
Signing Up as a Member on eHarmony
eHarmony is exclusively meant for serious singles with genuine intentions, so signing up here won’t give you access to your account and the matches immediately. The dating site will gather and verify the information you provide to them, before giving you full access to the site, which will take some time. This is excellent for maintaining a genuine, verified set of members. The main highlights about signing up on eHarmony are as follows:
- Both email and Facebook signups are accepted, but email verification is unnecessary
- You will need to fill in the information regarding your job, personality, hobbies, physical attributes, needs, expectations, nationality, etc.
- In addition to general profile building, eHarmony will give you multiple personality tests to complete, which is how the site forms an idea regarding the user’s personality
- Most users can complete the initial questionnaires and their profile data within roughly 10 – 15 minutes
Screenshots of the eHarmony sign up process:
Please not that these are just 4 steps for around 50
Establishing Contact with Matches
If you are not a premium member on eHarmony, you will only have access to the following for making contact with matches:
- You can send up to five, autogenerated questions to your matches, and you can choose the questions
- You can add people as Favorites
- You can send your matches a Wink
- Standard members can receive messages from premium members, but cannot reply to them
- They also cannot send messages to anybody, not even their matches
- Standard members can only see a list of compatible matches, as deemed ideal by eHarmony and cannot go outside the limited number of matches
If you are a premium member, though, all of the standard features will be available, but with none of the restrictions. Premium members can browse outside their match list, see who visited their profile, directly send messages, winks, etc. to anyone they like, and can themselves remain anonymous. However, eHarmony only allows text messaging as the form of communication on the site, which is applicable even for premium members.
eHarmony Profiles: Quality and Features
Every profile on eHarmony is extremely detailed and includes intimate information about each member. All personality tests were taken, and questions answered by each member, are displayed on their profiles and matched members can ask a few of their favorite autogenerated questions to each other as well. eHarmony also has a compatibility tab, which shows how compatible you are with each of your matches, based on important factors of a long-term relationship, such as Emotional Intimacy, Relationship Values, Romance, Affection, Physical Intimacy, Athleticism, Conscientiousness, Altruism, Extraversion, Intellect, etc. These are all sections that every member needs to fill out on their own first, which is why eHarmony’s compatibility system works so well.
Once again, profile access features are very limited for standard members on eHarmony and they cannot even see the profile pictures of their matches, except a blurry thumbnail. However, standard members can check the profile details of a match, including age, city, and name. Premium members, on the other hand, can see all photos uploaded by their matches and have virtually no restrictions.
eHarmony is minimal, straightforward, smooth and direct in design to remain accessible for everyone. However, one may argue that the UI is just too basic. Nevertheless, the minimalistic design keeps things looking neat and tidy, rather than cluttered and confusing. The pushy ads for encouraging users to upgrade to a premium account are the only ones there are on eHarmony, and even they disappear after the member upgrades.
The free to download app is a completely mobile version of the website and the developers have done a good job of bringing all essential features of the dating website, such as browsing match/favorite lists and chatting (premium members only) to their app as well. There are hardly any differences between the simplistic site and its equally minimal app to speak of, and just in case you are wondering, the premium upgrade costs the same as it does on the website. Also, you don’t need to pay separately for the site and the app, as long as it’s the same account of course.
Screenshots from the eHarmoney App:
How does eHarmony cost?
The standard or free accounts are too limiting, so you may want to check out the three fee structures below:
- Premium Light: 6 months at $32.95 per month ($197.70 total)
- Premium Plus: 12 months at $22.97 per month ($275.64 total)
- Premium Extra: 24 months at $17.97 per month ($431.28 total)
Read my cost breakdown here.
It should be mentioned that eHarmony accepts PayPal and Credit Cards only. Also, the total amount for each plan can also be paid out at once, or in two/three installments. The prices are neither cheap nor too expensive when compared with other similar dating sites and their premium plans.
Highlighting the Main Features of eHarmony
Minimalist as the design and set of features are, eHarmony focuses more on helping members find quality matches. Even then, the following features are enough to help members make meaningful connections with their matches:
- Send a Smile - Send a Smile by tapping or clicking on the smiley icon under a match’s profile picture
- Ask Questions - As already mentioned, you can ask autogenerated questions to your matches
- Add to Favorites – Narrow down your interests by creating a list of your favorite profiles on eHarmony
- What If? – Premium members can get 30 extra matches outside their compatibility list by selecting What If?
Our Rating for the eHarmony Dating Website
- Signing up Procedure and Verifications: 4 out of 5
- Establishing Contact with other Members: 3.5 out of 5
- Member Profile Quality and Features: 4 out of 5
- eHarmony App: 4 out of 5
- Real Life Review: 4.0 out of 5
My Final Thoughts on eHarmony
Although basic in its features, the compatibility system does an excellent job of matching the right people based on their personalities, views, interests, etc. The simple texting and the ability to ask personality questions to your matches are also excellent for judging a potential partner’s true personality and compatibility factor. If you want a long-term, committed relationship, or are even considering marriage, eHarmony is the dating app and matchmaking website that’s designed for singles like you.
Still unsure about eharmony? Check out our other reviews:
It really depends on you, if you are serious about meeting someone and develop a serious relationship then yes, if you are looking for a simple hook up maybe a different app is better for you. Before paying for eHarmony there are a few things you should understand. Read my full review here.
This changes from time to time but to get the latest pricing click here.
71% of Women and 69% of Men Meet Their Spouse on eharmony Within a Year. According to eharmony's Married Couples by the Numbers Facts report, almost three-quarters of men and women have met their spouse within a year of joining the site.
Yes, over 10 million active members.
There are rumors online of fake accounts but in my testing I came across no fake accounts, that doesn't mean they don't exist however. If you want to read more about my experience, read my full review of eHarmony.